Saturday, January 15, 2011

Are you ready to follow??

Today's Readings:
Genesis 36-38
Matthew 10:21-42

I can't stress enough the importance of what Jesus says in Matthew 10:21-42 but the verse I think hits it home are verses 24-25 “Students are not greater than their teacher, and slaves are not greater than their master. Students are to be like their teacher, and slaves are to be like their master."

It is no secret that I love Star Wars and my favorite of the films is by far "Empire Strikes Back." I can remember the frustration of Yoda as he tried to teach Luke...and Luke just wouldn't listen. He thought he knew better. Time and time again Yoda, wise old Yoda would say one thing and Luke would do the opposite...and it never worked out for Luke.

You think he would have learned.

Here in Matthew 10 Jesus really breaks it down so well. These verse are filled with purpose...both of the follower of Jesus and of Jesus himself. It both encourages and warns. Truly, if you are interested in following Jesus YOU MUST READ these verses.

Talk about purpose and focus, check out verses 37-39 “If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or if you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine. If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine. If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it."

This is not a call to not love our family. On the contrary, It is a call to put the one first in life who can enable us to truly love our families. To put the one first who is life itself.

Like I said, don't miss these words.

and tune in tomorrow because I will talk about Genesis and the life of an amazing guy named Joseph. So read Genesis 37-41 (and further in the days to come)

Have a great day :-)

Tomorrow's Reading:
Matthew 11 and Genesis 40-41

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers