Monday, January 31, 2011

God deserves our Best

Today's Readings:
Matthew 20:17-34
Exodus 25-26

Maybe I heard it in a sermon. Perhaps I read it in a book once....

or maybe I am just making it up :-)

As I read through these verses in Exodus on the building of the tabernacle I am amazed by the detail and awesome decor that went into it's creation. The tabernacle was to provide a place where God might dwell among His people. At first glance of these verses I remember thinking "what kind of God would require such...decadence?" This was seriously what I thought, and it was hard for me to understand. It seemed like on one page you would read about Jesus saying be humble and then I would read about all this gold and silver and fine linens needed to build God's house. It seemed so weird to me.

Then I realized who God is...and it all made sense.

God is beyond anything we can comprehend. So majestic, so awesome, So holy. It only makes sense that his house would reflect in some way all He is. He is greater than all the treasure the world has ever seen and I think it is important that this place where He would dwell among His people would reflect in some way all He is.

It reminds me that God, the God who gave His life in the person of Jesus on the cross, deserves my best.

"Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must become your slave. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:2-28)

and I give Him my best when I live like He did. The creator of the universe humbled himself and became a man. He humbled Himself even more when He died upon the cross. (Read Philippians 2:3-11 for a complete understanding of the humility of Jesus...it's my favorite verse)

If we want to lead, we must serve. If we wish to accomplish the extraordinary we must first humble ourselves. Our lives should reflect God in the way we serve one another and look out for others interests with selflessness and joy.

If we wish to reflect Him in our lives than we should look to Him in all things.

These two verses or sections of scripture show us God's holiness and His love

and it is these that we must reflect in our lives.

Tomorrow's Readings:
Exodus 27-28
Matthew 21:1-22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers