Sunday, January 16, 2011

With a little light, it's easy to see where you're going

Today's Readings:
Genesis 39-40
Matthew 11

“Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

I once had a conversation with another christian about what life is like before Jesus and after. She said "The christian life is so hard. It was so much easier when I didn't know any better."

I couldn't disagree more

I find it interesting that here in Matthew 11, Jesus utters the words "the blind see...and the deaf hear." Have you ever wandered? I mean just gone out and without a plan just wandered? Just gone off and not worried about where you end up? No direction, no purpose, no place to be. I suppose it can be fun for a while but eventually you will have to ask yourself "Where am I and where am I going?" Otherwise, your just lost.

I prefer direction

I think we all do if we are honest with ourselves. We all, ultimately, want to know where we are going. It is why I love the words of Matthew 11:30 "For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” A life lived for Jesus doesn't lack hardship. It causes us to face many challenges and trials. It certainly doesn't lack trouble...

...but it also doesn't lack direction.

Direction that is clear and precise. There is a peace that exists when you realize that no matter where you are, no matter what kind of trouble or challenge you come up against, you are still going somewhere amazing. No worry...just follow. No anxiety of what to do next...just follow. No asking yourself "Is this the right thing to do?" because the creator of everything has made the path so very clear. It's not as difficult as we make it out to be much of the time. We cloud life, not God. We confuse direction, not Jesus.

I imagine the thought found in Matthew 11:30 is what allowed Joseph (Genesis 37-50) to live the life he lived. To stay focused in times of such despair. He knew God was taking him somewhere. In Genesis 39 we read an account of Joseph's life when he was faced with a "difficult" choice.

"Joseph was a very handsome and well-built young man,7and Potiphar’s wife soon began to look at him lustfully. “Come and sleep with me,” she demanded. But Joseph refused. “Look,” he told her, “my master trusts me with everything in his entire household. No one here has more authority than I do. He has held back nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How could I do such a wicked thing? It would be a great sin against God.” (Genesis 39:6-9)

I am quite certain he knew his choice was going to bring him trouble...and it did. He ended up in prison. I think he knew this might happen. But he made the choice.

Why?

Because he had direction. Even in prison it says Joseph followed.

Psalm 119:105 says "Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path."

You want to know what is hard...walking in the dark. Trying to find your way when there is no light. That's difficult.

But with a little light to show the way...it's really not that hard at all.

It's actually pretty easy...and I think that's the point.

Tomorrow's Reading:
Genesis 41-42
Matthew 12:1-23

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers