Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Salt and Light

Today's Readings: Genesis 13-15 & Matthew 5:1-26
Key Verse: Matthew 5:13

It's the Attitude behind the Act. It's not the Deed but the Desire.

These were words spoken in a sermon I recently listened to by a famous preacher and it is the main idea presented in Matthew 5. One could write an entire book about Matthew 5. They have actually. Many an author has written on the words spoken in Matthew 5. The beginning of what has become known as "The Sermon on the Mount." A speech given by Jesus that set everything upon it's ear. There are so much truth presented here one could spend a lifetime dwelling upon it's meaning.

That's actually not a bad idea.

Yet in the midst of this grand chapter of God's word, verse 5:13 stands out in a way I have never noticed until just today. Jesus is presenting to us the truth that what is on the inside is what matters. The words found in I Samuel 16:7 says, "The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” God is not so concerned with the outside as He is with the inside. And the outside is only validated insofar as it is representative of what is on the inside.

This idea that life springs from what is inside is repeated over and over again in scripture but it is "crystallized" here in Matthew 5:13

“You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless."

It is no accident that in a chapter where God tells us to examine the internal he compares us to salt. Think about it, why is salt valuable? Why is salt able to get done what it needs to get done? Why do people use salt? Well, I hate to be overly simple but the reason is...IT'S SALT!!!!

What makes salt salt?? It's what you find on the inside. If you change the the internal chemistry of salt, you no longer have salt. The only reason salt is useful is because of that which makes it salt.

Jesus here is saying "You want to live for me?? It starts on the inside in your heart and mind." You take care of the attitude the actions will flow. I think that is why I love reading my Bible. It changes my heart. It transforms my mind, the way I think. It turns me into...well...salt. The kind of "salt" God can use.

Matthew 5 is all about attitude. It is all about how you see and think about things. It is a great chapter of my favorite book and I seriously encourage everyone (myself included) to wake up every morning and before you do anything read Matthew 5.

Imagine what life would look like if we all did...It's easy if you try :-)

P.S. I know I didn't comment on it, but read the Old Testament verse as well.

Tomorrow's Reading: Matthew 5:27-48 & Genesis 16-17

1 comment:

  1. Something that stood out to me yesterday when I was reading those chapters was in Matthew. It states, Blessed are those who are gentle. They will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for God's approval.They will be satisfied.... It states so much in such small words. He is describing a way to be blessed.(well one of the ways) and it is a pretty simple consept.

    Sorry if any of (or all of)that does not make sense.

    ~Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete

Followers