Tuesday, January 4, 2011

It's Tuesday...day 2

Today's Readings: Genesis 10-12 & Matthew 4
Key Verses: Genesis 12:4 & Matthew 4:18-22

Time to go...

Tonight is Tuesday. Epic Jv night. The night of the week I spend with many of my favorite middle school students. Tonight one of the students asked me "Erin, what does it mean live by faith and not by sight?"

hhmmmmm.....

I think tonight's verses show us the meaning of this phrase. In Genesis 12:4 we read "So Abram went, as the LORD had told him." (ESV) God told Abram (soon to be renamed Abraham) to leave his home, the home of his fathers and travel to an unknown land. God's invitation to Abram challenges him to abandon the normal sources of personal identity and security: His family and country. To obey, Abram must trust God. He obediently left his old ways in his country to follow God’s plan.

Trust God...what a concept.

In Matthew 4:18-22 we see the same thing.

"One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers—Simon, also called Peter, and Andrew—throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” And they left their nets at once and followed him. A little farther up the shore he saw two other brothers, James and John, sitting in a boat with their father, Zebedee, repairing their nets. And he called them to come, too. They immediately followed him, leaving the boat and their father behind."

Picture that, your just doing what you do. What you are comfortable doing and this guy calls out to you "hey, follow me" and you go. Granted the call comes from Jesus. I imagine he could be quite convincing. But they just go...not knowing how it will work out...they just go.

In July of 2008 I was simply filling in as a guest speaker in my church's youth group. No plans of making such a thing permanent. I was happy with the way life was...very happy. One moment I was living my life, doing what I was comfortable with...

...and the next God is saying "Come, follow me...Go to the land I will show you." It was scary, it was confusing, it was extremely unknown, but I knew it was right.

God calls to us daily to simply go and follow and He promises time and time again we won't be sorry.

So what are you waiting for???

Tomorrow's Readings: Matthew 5 & Genesis 13-15

1 comment:

  1. Great post Erin! So true, and such a good reminder. Walking by faith is tough, but it is only through this that we experience the incredible grace and mercy of God's plan for our lives. So glad you listened to God's call on yours!

    ReplyDelete

Followers