Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 14...The Adventure Continues

Today's Readings:
Genesis 33-35
Matthew 10:1-20

Verses that caught my eye:
Genesis 34
Matthew 10:16 and 10:20

A couple quick thoughts on today's reading. As I read the old Testament, I have to often step back and remind myself "This is history here." There are parts of the Old Testament that are are hard to understand and difficult to read. But it is good to know, as I read, that God can use horrible choices made by deeply flawed people and cause something good to come out of it. As I read Old Testament sections I have to realize I am reading a historical document and at times people do really evil things. Just because these things are in there doesn't mean God condones or is happy about them happening.

As you read through these sections, it is important to see how God works in and through the lives of these people, even when they do things God would never want them to do.

In Matthew 10 I am reminded about how I must live as a follower of Jesus. In Matthew 10:16 Jesus says "“Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves." It should be no secret that those who follow Jesus will have their enemies. There is one who will stop at nothing to keep the name of Jesus from spreading. He already knows he is defeated but he works to take as many with him as possible.

We are sheep among wolves in this world...not a promising way to look at things...

...unless we are smart and Godly, unless we are wise and ready for the attack. If we know the wolf is there, we can prepare. We should know our enemy and know his ways so we can combat them in a manner that brings glory to God. I think that is the word given here in this verse.

It couples up nicely with the words of verse 20 I think

"For it is not you who will be speaking—it will be the Spirit of your Father speaking through you." These are words that bring me peace in my role as middle school pastor. When I am aware, when I listen to God and walk after Him, He will give me words to speak. Words that will bring people a more complete knowledge of Him.

So, let us all read on...the adventure continues.

Tomorrow's Reading:
Genesis 36-38
Matthew 10:21-42 (and it's good :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers