Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Look at Faith

Today's Reading: Matthew 8 & Genesis 27-28
Key Verses: Matthew 8:2, Matthew 8:9 & Matthew 8:26

What is faith??

In Matthew 8, among many other truths, we catch a glimpse of what faith is and what faith is not. As I read Matthew 8 I was struck by these three verses. In Matthew 8:2 we see a leper come and kneel before Jesus and say "Lord, if you will, you can make me clean."

A few things I noticed. Lepers suffered from more then just a disease, they were social outcasts. Jesus had crowds of people around him, following him, and yet this leper, this social outcast wanted healing so badly he was willing to go amongst many people in order to speak to Jesus. Why?? He had faith. He knew Jesus could heal him. By saying "if you will" he acknowledges the power of Jesus and that only Jesus could heal him. He knew who Jesus was and what He could do.

That's faith.

In Matthew 8:9 we see a not another leper but a Roman Centurion. He comes to Jesus and says “Lord, my young servant lies in bed, paralyzed and in terrible pain.” It says he pleaded with Jesus to help him and Jesus said he would come and heal. But look at what the Centurion says "Lord, I am not worthy to have you come into my home. Just say the word from where you are, and my servant will be healed." The Centurion knew who he was, and who Jesus was. He also knew that Jesus could heal with just a word and he says as much in 8:9 "I know this because I am under the authority of my superior officers, and I have authority over my soldiers. I only need to say, ‘Go,’ and they go, or ‘Come,’ and they come. And if I say to my slaves, ‘Do this,’ they do it.”

The centurion recognized Jesus’ authority. From his own experience, he knew that when he gave orders, they were quickly obeyed. He figured that God had entrusted Jesus with authority to work miracles.

He had an idea of who Jesus was and what He could do

Faith

Yet, we see the disciples, the hand picked fellows of Jesus in Matthew 23-27, in a boat with Jesus. There is a storm. A big storm, a Great storm. The boat was being flooded with waves. The disciples are freaking out...and Jesus is asleep. The disciples come, wake him, and say "Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”

Really?!?! You are going to drown?!?! Don't you know who is in the boat with you?!?!?

Jesus says as much in his reply to their hysterics. "Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!”

Don't you know who I am??? Don't you know what I can do???

Then he calmed the storm.

So what is faith in God?? It's trust He can do what he says He can and that He will

That's Faith...and I want it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers